Monday, November 07, 2005

Ned Flanders and Bishop Carlton Pearson

A few weeks ago I mentioned that I had heard Bishop Carlton Pearson at a conference I attended in Atlanta. The setting was small and informal. He was asked to speak on the stir he has created of late when he says that, "God is not Christian". Not everyone in that room agreed with everything Bishop Pearson said, but I am certain that everyone in that room left the meeting knowing that a man of God had just challenged and blessed us. The good Bishop is saying some things that western Christianity needs to hear, even if, in the end result we still disagree. Truthfully, all he is really saying is that Christianity in 2005 has created a God in OUR image who gives us an excuse for hating the world, "God so loved...that He gave His only Son."

Another person I have heard recently is Homer Simpson's neighbor, Ned Flanders. He's not a preacher, in fact, he's not even real (and not just in the manner that some preachers and Christians aren't real); he's a cartoon character. But, he is the personification and compilation of what many outside observers have concluded to be a good picture of evangelical, fundementalist Christians. Homer once asked Ned where he had been and Ned's answer makes me hurt and giggle all at the same time: "We've been away to a Christian camp. We were learning how to be more judgemental."

Another speaker at the conference I referred to earlier said, "Jesus was crucified, not for what he said, but for what people said He said....and not much has changed 2005 years later." Sadly, the world is full of Ned Flanders and his flock who hear or see something on the surface and run to judgement faster than a speeding bullet. Ironically, it is for that very reason that the Holy Spirit is stirring Bishop Pearson to speak, so as to challenge what we have become.

I don't agree with everything that Bishop Pearson says, but I will tell you this much; I trust the Holy Spirit in him and in me to sort it all out and create more of the image of Christ in the Body of Christ, in the end result.

On a side note; last spring I had the wonderful opportunity to take my bride of 31 years on our first honeymoon to Jamaica. While there we attended a 2 day conference which included Bishop Pearson. I saw him a number of times back and forth on elevators, the hotel lobby and the beach. Now, I have been around preachers for more years than I have been married and I can smell pride and "fake" a mile away.... trust me when I tell you I have smelled all too much of that stench. But what I saw in Bishop Pearson was kindness, passion and REALITY, both on and off the stage. I hope that influence, and my own, helps to make the cartoon character, Ned Flanders, an obsolete image for my granddaughter's generation.

Bye, bye Ned.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastor,
I've heard from men that I much admire, that provocative statements will surface and identify spirits. Bishop Pearson has certainly surfaced more than a few "religious" spirits, however, they generally remain anonymous!!!
I will not remain 'anonymous". I met you for the first time 13 years ago. I was dead in my trespasses, and you loved me just as I was. Eventually, the Holy Spirit had His way with me, and I don't think you raised one judgemental little finger. My name is Pastor Steve Olson, and I am proud and humbled to be a spiritual son to Pastor Randy. I will close this comment with a controversial statement. Thank You for Jesus with skin on to me!
In His Love,
Pastor Steve

Anonymous said...

I was in a conversation recently with an old Bible college classmate and Bishop Pearson came up. My friend concluded that Pearson had been given to doctrine of demons. I decided to do more research to see if I could discover what all the hoopla is about. I'm particularly concerned because I attended Bishop Pearson's church years ago while studying in Tulsa and always thought he was a great leader and preacher. After reading news reports of how so many turned away from him, I'm amazed that he has had the courage to stand for what he believes God is saying to him in this hour, even as he seemingly has lost everything that he worked so hard to build. Somehow I think God is in the midst what is transpiring with him, and that God is perhaps more pleased than many of us might imagine. Increasingly, Christianity appears to be about a lot of things that Jesus didn't seem to be about. That Bishop Pearson is drawing attention to the mean-spiritedness that is too often seen in the ranks is admirable. He has not denounced God, Jesus or the Holy Spirit. He has just moved away from a traditional perspective on one aspect of Christian theology. How sad it is that Christians continue to allow differences to separate rather than similarities to unite. What I find most interesting is that somehow it seems clear that many Christians need "hell" in order to believe in God. What I hear Bishop Pearson saying is that God is God and we ought to be encouraging people to get acquainted with who God is and what God desires for them (period). Let hell take care of itself. God bless the Bishop.

Rev. Robbie M., Nashville, TN

Anonymous said...

Well, I've been taking a long hard listen to Carlton Pearson recently and I appreciate a lot of what he has to say. However, I think some statements are a bit extreme. I wish he had simply held the same belief without expressing most of them and maintained his following. Think about he could have transitioned by simply emphasizing reconciliation, God's acceptance of mankind and the love of God. I wish he could have been spared the rejection and losses.