Monday, February 18, 2008

Lit and Lovin' It

I just arrived back home from a 10 day trip to Valles, Mexico. Valles is a true to the soul of Mexico city of about 400,000 8 hours drive south of the border. A family from our church has been down there for 22 years and I visit them annually.

Missions trips aren't supposed to be this much fun. Oh, we worked, that's for sure. There was the standard stuff we do every year of working on the church building (you can see the building by going to our church web site www.lwc1.com and click on the mission's link), but this year we added a new feature which I hope will be a standard for the years to come. Darren, my son in law and assistant pastor, and I went down a few days ahead of our team to conduct a pastor's conference in a village just east of Valles. Then, after that 2 and half day conference we conducted a leadership conference with the 30 key leaders of the 2 city churches.

When you count the one 5 hour session I held at the city churches along with the evening services after the pastor's conference, I had the privilege of preaching and teaching 13 times in 6 days. That does not include the mandatory follow up altar prayer services that these precious people insist on having. I think I counted prophesying and specifically praying with over 200 people. But I kid you not, I have not had that much fun in a very long time. Like I said, mission's trips are not supposed to be this much fun….I almost feel guilty….almost, but…..there……now I'm over it.

A couple times out in the village a demon possessed couple showed up to disrupt the services. Weird stuff, but Darren and I compared notes on how God through His Kingdom in us just overwhelmed the darkness. This couple was not interested in any freedom at that time, but regardless, the freak show they wanted to bring with them was sent packing.

I don't have the time or space here to relate everything that happened but I want to leave one significant thought with you. In Psalms 16:11 and 36:8 we are told that God's presence, right hand and His river are places of joy, pleasure, delights and life. This past 2 weeks of grueling schedule, Mexican highways and mountain trails has reminded me that I can serve Him out of a limitless bounty if I keep myself in the deep end of the Presence Pool of God the Father, Jesus my King/Friend and the Great Adventurer, the Holy Spirit.

I'm lit and lovin' it; what's next?

No comments: